Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Learning The Hard Way.

We learn from our mistakes, and this has been true since we were walking around on all fours in the dirt.  I was actually referring to our evolutionary fore Fathers, but I can't ignore that statement's uncanny similarity to what my child does most of her day. I'll save the parallels between Tegan and apes for another post, as that list could get quite long.

So learning from our mistakes is how we've gotten where we are. We touch something hot, it hurts. We smile at someone, (hopefully) they smile back. We attempt to drink a gallon of milk in 5 minutes, we vomit.   I'm fine with this. I get it. She has to fall a lot to understand gravity, and learning to walk means learning to fall. And I let her fall, and maybe sometimes too hard.  Don't look at me like that, I'm just saying that I'm not hovering over my child and tossing a pillow under her ass to cushion her fall.

My problem with this process is that if I'm supposed to let her learn and explore things on her own, why can't she ever seem to cut my nerves a break and enjoy some child friendly activities. I mean really. "Oh neat, awesome new toys mom, and look, there's a kitty I could smother, but nah, I think I'll go try to scale the bookcase for the twenty-eighth time today. You know, the really wobbly one that could fall over at any moment.  And then I think I'll go learn how windows work and bang my head against the glass a few dozen times. And that glass candle thingy looks like it would shatter nicely on the tile floors."

All of this "learning" results in a remarkable number of bumps and bruises. Black eyes, goose eggs, scratches, cuts, the whole deal, and she's only 10 months old! The amazing thing is, she's fucking resilient. These injuries always freak Josh and I out. It scary as hell to see you kid get hurt, but the fearless Miss Tegan is never discouraged.  Not her, she'll fuss for a minute or two, but she always gets right back to concurring the bookcase.

(tip toes)

1 comment:

  1. Naia once jumped from her very tall dresser to her bed across the room! Then she tried to jump from the tv in her room but it toppled forward and she, luckily fell behind it instead of under it...and the worst? i once walked in on her, when she was barely 2, sitting on the ledge of her 2nd story bedroom window with her legs dangling over the edge waving to cars. My heart literally stopped for a minute as I calmly approached her so as not to startle her lest she fall out that window! She had pushed the screen out and told me she wanted to say hi to the people driving cars! Just a few of the heart attack inducing things you have to look forward to...good luck!

    ReplyDelete