Sunday, March 27, 2011

God Made Dirt...

Tegan is almost walking. She is in this funny "middle" phase where she crawls around with her ass in the air from crawling on her hands and feet rather than her knees. While this is a super exciting milestone, it has also required me to be a bit quicker on my toes and definitely more creative.

A few months ago, I could get away with having her play in the office while I worked on school stuff (okay, okay, while I played on Facebook and daydreamed about items on Etsy). Now, I might get 3 minutes of that when I'll suddenly realize "it's gotten awfully quite in here", and discover Tegan in the living room watching tv.

Along with my need to watch her like a hawk, I must also come with new "exciting" things to do. The closet full of shoes, and pushing the cart out front are old hat. So I have yet again had to expand my parenting repertoire. And the scariest new place, our backyard.

It was once a well manicured oasis (blatant exaggeration), but seeing as we know our house will soon be a banks house, saying we've let it get a little overgrown would be an understatement. There are weeds as tall as her out there, and old dog turds, and rotten grapefruits and decayed bird heads for all I know. Okay, okay, so I'm painting a pretty terrifying picture, it's not quite so bad, but overgrown for sure.

But she loves it, and I can see why. And I loved that stuff too when I was little. Ask my mom about pulling leeches off me after catching frogs in a pond. Who wants to sit inside and play with dolls when there's mud and dirt and grass outside to romp in and ultimately shove in your mouth? Not this girl.

Yes, her clothes get dirty and I'm sure she's gotten into plenty of nasty things that would make a grown person vomit, but that's being a kid. And that's learning. We keep babies inside because we worry about germs and what not, but then we wonder why kids are fat and depressed and don't play outside later in life...really? So I let my kid eat dirt. I let her get messy. She scrapes her knees and gets bruises, and as a result, she's going to kick some major ass...and definitely have a better immune system.

(Trouble)

1 comment: