Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm Right On Top of That, Rose!

I had it all figured out. My next blog that is. I had the clever title, the humorous one liners, and perfect picture all ready to go in my mind. And then the reality of being a parent set in. The reality that trying to plan something out ahead of time, let alone think you know your child's behavior enough to predict the outcome is about as impossible as trying to pull off a runway show in your mom's backyard after pretending to be a fashion guru to support your brothers and sisters because your summer babysitter bit the big one. That shit never works!

We had dinner plans with friends who also have a little girl. I should probably clarify. As a parent, when I say dinner plans, I'm not referring to a nice meal out with friends, where you enjoy a bottle of wine (or two) and a few hours of banter about work and politics and the latest Sheen shenanigans. I'm talking about going to a friends house for dinner where the four adults spend the evening trying to pretend they are having adult conversations while actually trying to figure out why all of the sudden their child won't eat the squash you brought for them. While this is not nearly as classy as a dinner out, when you've spent 10 months as parental shut-ins, an early dinner with friends feels like a weekend getaway. Oh, and just a heads up for you future parents out there, this is all happening at "dinner time" which is now 4:30.

So dinner plans. And blog plans. A well written blog about dinner with friends tied in with the relationships between babies, as Tegan was going to be having some quality time with one of her friends.

Nope. Life with a child is never what you prepare for or expect it to be. Instead of dinner, Miss Tegan got a fever, and there is nothing that will flip me into "paranoid mother" mode quicker than a fever. So instead of homemade tortillas and deliciousness, we had a sick little bird on our hands. And at that point tortillas are the last thing on my mind (okay, that's a lie, homemade tortillas were right up there) because seeing your kid sick really sucks.

So we have rescheduled dinner, and who knows how long it will be before two families with two unpredictable children actually enjoy a meal together. But it's all part of the unpredictable, not always sunny, changes we face as new parents.

And hey, it's no easy gig being a new baby either.

(sad face)

2 comments:

  1. I loved every thing u had to say and can totally see my future. I love the picture...it fits how both of u feel. And last but not least I love how this was posted at 5:55 am. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. a little tip for a nice dinner out with babies, for when the little bird is no longer sick: ask for the banquet or party room, have plenty of toys, crayons, paper, cheerios and juice boxes...that way, you get privacy from dirty looks of the other patrons and the kids are somewhat occupied while you get to enjoy a great meal. my sister and i used to do that when ours were little. rigatoni's was our favorite to go to that has a private room.

    ReplyDelete