Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Giving The Finger

Tegan is officially pointing...at everything. In addition to the finger gesture comes the word "that? or more like "dat?" with a very clear question mark attached to it. Is is fucking adorable. (my use of "fuck" indicates a level of cute that far exceeds that of puppies and kittens cuddling in a hay filled barn.)

Aside from the obvious point (pun intended) that she is expressing herself, and wanting to know what EVERYTHING is, it's the opening of the parenting door I have most looked forward to. Questions. I love the things kids come up with. Even before I was a parent or an expectant one, I loved to see all my friends post things their kids would ask and say. Classic comedy that can't be rivaled. I mean, Bill Cosby made a whole damn show for it.

Right now I am simply telling her what something is. "Dat?" Tree.  "Dat?"  Toothbrush.  "Dat?" cat vomit.  But one day comes my much anticipated chance to come up with equally clever answers to questions like "why do my ears stick out?" "So that Batman has something to pick you up by when he wants to take you out to dinner"

I realize that this is a slippery slope, and that when the day comes for such answers I want to make sure I pick and choose when to insert some "creative license" as I'll call it. After all, I don't want my kid showing up to kindergarten telling her classmates that the grass is green because leprechauns pee out their feet.

For now we'll stick to "dat?" and (mostly) correct explanations. Although, I make no promises. If my child points at you and says "wiener" I had nothing to do with it.

("dat?")

1 comment:

  1. hahhaa. this might be my favorite so far. can i mess with her head too? kidding, kidding ...

    ReplyDelete