Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'm Not Asking For The Cover of Time Magazine!

Everyone that has children wants them to do great things. Not just for the obvious reason of needing a retirement plan since that whole social security thing is looking grim at best, but because you love them insanely and you want them to be happy and educated and well rounded and employed. We are no different with Tegan. We want (and know) that she will be amazing at...something.

It's that something, that question mark that leads many parents (okay, at least Josh and I) to turn every little thing Tegan does into a sign of her feature talents. She liked water as a baby...SWIMMER! Huge fan of books...WRITER! Rolling and throwing the ball...ATHLETE! And we're all familiar with the cat thing which of course points to VET! Then we remind ourselves that she is also good at things like shitting her pants and making fart sounds with her mouth, and neither of us seem to jump at possible careers that list those as requirements. Although we are happily accepting suggestions.

So of course when Tegan starting playing with crayons and paper the other day, the artist in me couldn't help but go bananas at the thought of a little artist. She seemed to really enjoy herself, and did surprisingly well at hold the crayons and understanding line and form and balance (kidding). She does enjoy it though..a lot I'd say.

(My Little Ar-teeeest)

But I know this might or might not mean anything. Yes, children naturally gravitate towards certain things, and sure, interests they have as they get older impact what the choose as work, but now is far too early to really know anything.  I mean, I should probably wait for her to um, I don't know, walk, and say more than 5 words before my imagination maps out her whole life. (I solemnly swear to not be a parent that pushes their kid into a certain career. Even if that career is as a highly payed and well respected artist that is nationally recognized, and lives in a super awesome loft/studio in NY...Scout's Honor.)

Because right now, in reality, toys are for playing, Books are pretty to look at, and crayons, while they do make really pretty marks, are often times still best for eating.  

(I mean, who wouldn't? They smell so good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment