Friday, April 15, 2011

31,556,926...and Counting

Tomorrow Tegan will be one. We made it a year. A whole year. 365 days. 8765.8 hours. 31,556,926 seconds, and this is truly something to celebrate. Not only is it Tegan's first Birthday, but there is also an undeniable sense of accomplishment for myself and Josh. Not only is she still in one piece, but stitch free and only a few memorable injuries. For a kid that would rather demonstrate her yoga moves on a chair than sit on it, this feels like a huge success.

Raising children is hard, and parents who says its not are either lying or probably not doing all they should be. It truly is the absolute, without a doubt, hardest thing I have ever done. Makes managing a classroom look like a vacation. It's exhausting mentally, physically, financially and socially. So then why do it?

A friend of mine recently made a joke about not getting the pay off of having a child. Diapers, crying, lack of sleep, money, being stuck at home, and maybe I will agree with him a bit when Tegan is 14 and only communicates with me via door slamming, but right now I can't see a downside. She's fucking hilarious for one, and she's smart, and Innocent, and trusting and a reminder of what we were all like before we got our hearts broken or watched too much news or were under appreciated or hurt or felt fear. Tegan helps me remember that these things don't have to be what life's all about. And if that doesn't sell you on the deal, have a child that loves you more than anything else in the world just give you a hug.

So to me there is no question that while the last year has been crazy and sometime (okay, a lot of the time) stressful, seeing her grow up into a sassy little lady is way cooler than going out with the cool kids. To each their own. And this is mine.

(Just being cute)

A letter to my bigger than "little" girl.


Tegan,

     I hope you've made it this far reading all these blogs. I realize at this point there is a very good chance you have completely disowned me as your mother for comparing you to the likes of mental cases, animals and transients. But assuming I raised you well, you've probably got a good bit of humor and sarcasm in your blood, Oh, and I promise to let you decide what photographs are shared with your boyfriend, although I doubt I can say the same for your dad. 

     Tomorrow is your first birthday, and I must say that I am just as excited about your birthday as I am for having kept you in one piece for 365 days. When you have a child you will understand why that feels like such an accomplishment. Especially if your children are as rowdy and full of energy and curiosity as you are. 

     In the first year of your life you put in a lot of work! You will meet 1 walking, and talking (kind of) and having a very strong will and little to no hair on your head. It's true and we love you any way. You are fun, and smart, and completely fearless. Anywhere we take you people comment on how beautiful you are and how aware of the world you seem to be. You are absolutely amazing. 

Thank you for reminding me everyday that there is still goodness in the world. Stay sweet. Stay happy. And always stay true to what you believe regardless of what others may think (unless the other person is your mother. Kidding.) 

Happy Birthday baby girl!

I love you to the moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment