Monday, May 2, 2011

And One Day She'll say, "...I'm Just Like My Mother..."

Tegan looks like her dad...or so I am told every time the two of them are in the same room. And usually, without fail, a sad little smile and head tilt is directed at me immediately following. Hey man, I don't mind that she looks like her dad because I married him and I am shallow and would never marry an ugly person. Kidding.

But seriously, like I'm offended that she doesn't look like me. Like every night as I fall asleep I curse the universe for not giving my daughter my perfectly shaped eyes and gorgeous cheek bones. (Perhaps I'm selling myself up a bit.) I actually don't care that she looks nothing like me, and that is because while her appearance maybe that of her father, her personality is all like her mommy.

Yep. She's me...just tinier and less opinionated. She is easily frustrated, and likes cats, and one of her top five favorite things to do is vacuum (or help me do it any way). She's loud and silly but also super serious when she gets into something and loves pineapple and is partial to monochromatic animals (mostly pandas). Yep, me.

There are some qualities that she possesses that I am certain didn't come from me, like her constant flatulence (dad), and her interest in bad 90's smooth R&B. Still haven't figured out were that came from. But for the most part, she's a feisty lady just like her mama.  Now I'd like to think this was all do to my potent genes when it came to that whole creation thing, but I will agree that maybe, just maybe, some it has to do with her being around me all day...maybe. Nah, I'm sticking with the super genes theory.

So she can look like her dad, he's handsome. And it's great that she's got some of his greatest parts. She will take habits and characteristic and traits from both of us and be whatever Tegan's personality is.  But really, no need for the sad little smiles and sympathetic head tilts because she may not look like me, but there is no doubt that right now, she's her mama through and through.

(My little impatient panda lover)

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a theory that babies almost always more closely resemble their father to ensure that the father senses his 'fatherhood' and therefore sticks around to protect the family. There's more potential for the child to resemble the mother as time goes on :)
    Random. I know.
    She scored having both of you.

    ReplyDelete